Kansas City Dog Bite Attorney
Dog owners enjoy the benefits of companionship and comfort from their lovable pets, but, under the law, they can also be made to answer for injuries caused by their pet. In other words, owning a dog certainly can have a lot of positive benefits but it also comes with certain legal responsibilities. This is particularly true when the owner’s dog bites and/or attacks a person who, more often than not, is unwary and unsuspecting.
Common Injuries Caused by Dog Bites and Attacks
Dog attacks may not seem as fatal as the other classes of personal injury. Still, dog bites and attacks, nonetheless, can cause a variety of injuries needing serious medical assistance, such as:
- Puncture wounds
- Rabies and other viral infection
- Neck and spinal injuries
- Eye infection and injuries
- Disfigurement and amputation
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones
These are just some of the most common injuries. Apart from these instances of physical harm, dog bites and attacks may also cause trauma and other emotional and mental effects on the person attacked.
Missouri Law on Dog Bites and Attacks
Dog owners in Kansas City and other cities in Missouri should know they may face liability for injuries inflicted by their dogs. In addition to common-law claims that can allow the injured party to recover their economic and non-economic damages. Missouri has a strict-liability statute about this. Section 273.036 of the Missouri Revised Statutes partially provides:
- The owner or possessor of any dog that bites, without provocation, any person while such person is on public property, or lawfully on private property, including the property of the owner or possessor of the dog, is strictly liable for damages suffered by persons bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner or possessor's knowledge of such viciousness.
- Owners and possessors of dogs shall also be strictly liable for any damage to property or livestock approximately caused by their dogs.
- Any person who is held liable under Section 273.036 shall pay a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars.
Dog Bite Attorney in Kansas City
Injuries caused by dog bites and attacks are a serious matter and must be dealt with appropriately. Pospisil Swift is here to assist if you are in Kansas City or any of its surrounding areas and need a dog bite attorney, whether as an injured party or a pet owner or possessor. Pospisil Swift prides itself in lawyers and experts with years of experience and vast knowledge in the field of personal injury, and, no doubt, this kind of professional legal assistance and expertise is what you need to further your case.
To start, contact us by giving us a call or by clicking the link below. Alternatively, you may also choose to fill out the form below this page to tell us more about your situation.
Contact Pospisil Swift